Thursday, April 17, 2008

War Wounds

I studied this poem at school, and yet it didn't ruin for me its painful beauty. The literary genius of the alliteration, metaphor, oddly chosen adverbs and adjectives, the clever use of simile, anaphora, the rhyme scheme: all this is eclipsed by the strong images the poem conjures up, the`picture of young men fighting their way through the gas attack in pain and fear and desperation, which hasn't left my mind to this day. Add to this unutterable personal tragedy: Wilfred Owen was killed in battle a week before the end of the war, so that news of his death reached his village the day the end of the war was declared. A masterpiece.

Dulce Et Decorum Est: Wilfred Owen

Bent double, like old beggars under sacks,
Knock-kneed, coughing like hags, we cursed through sludge,
Till on the haunting flares we turned our backs,
And towards our distant rest began to trudge.
Men marched asleep. Many had lost their boots,
But limped on, blood-shod. All went lame, all blind;
Drunk with fatigue; deaf even to the hoots
Of gas-shells dropping softly behind.

Gas! Gas! Quick, boys! An ecstasy of fumbling,
Fitting the clumsy helmets just in time,
But someone still was yelling out and stumbling
And floundering like a man in fire or lime.
Dim through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.
In all my dreams, before my helpless sight,
He plunges at me, guttering, choking, drowning.

If in some smothering dreams, you too could pace
Behind the wagon that we flung him in.
And watch the white eyes writhing in his face,
His hanging face, like a devil's sick of sin;
If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood
Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs,
Obscene as cancer, bitter as the cud
Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues,
My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
To children ardent for some desperate glory,
The old Lie: Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori.

2 comments:

agneta said...

Hi Livby. Your comments about Gustav Fjaestad are of great interest to me. I am an art historian and his grand daughter. I live in Sweden and hope that you will contact me. 46 570 10404. Thank you

Anonymous said...

Hi Liv,
yes Gustav amazing artist. I found him through a great Canadian artist that I like named Lawren Harris. He is one of the group of seven and became inspired by Gustav's work on a trip to Sweden.
You may like to look him up as well.
Also there is a great Canadian poet Robert W. Service that has done some amazing work. You may have heard of him already.
"Cremation of Sam McGee" My Madonna is one I really like as well.
Anyway, happy reading.

ric